As your local community foundation, we invest in communities throughout the region from Stratford to St. Marys and across Perth County. Annually we provide grants from named and regional funds to support local charities and community-based organizations vital to this region.
We invite you to take a moment to read our latest news.
- Donor Story: St. Marys Imagination Library
- Investing in our Community: Cooking with Class
- Smart & Caring Community Grant Program
- Will Power
- Gift Planning: Year-end Giving
- New Funds
Wishing you and your families health and happiness.
Heidi and Roxy
Photo: Mitchell Lions Park Pavilion, West Perth
Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library Arrives in St. Marys
St. Marys business owner, Chantal Lynch of Hyggeligt Fabrics, and community member, Dennis DesRosiers, have partnered to create the St. Marys Imagination Library Fund, an early literacy program through Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library of Canada. The local program is devoted to inspiring a love of reading in children everywhere by providing a free, age-appropriate book every month for children under five in St. Marys. This program is open to all families.
In addition to bringing the program to St. Marys, Chantal and Dennis have established the St. Marys Imagination Library Fund, with a goal of raising $300,000 to make the St. Marys Imagination Library self-sustaining for all time.
$250 for 250 Kids Campaign
Chantal and Dennis invite the St. Marys community to help the St. Marys Imagination Library Fund achieve its goal. It costs $250 per child to provide an age-appropriate book each month from birth to age 5 years and they have launched their $250 for 250 Kids Campaign – a challenge for residents of St. Marys to donate $250 to support 250 kids in St. Marys. All donations will be generously matched by Dennis DesRosiers.
To learn more about the program and to register a child, click HERE
INVESTING IN OUR COMMUNITY
Cooking with Class in West Perth
The Municipality of West Perth’s recreation department launched their first ever children’s cooking program, “Cooking with Class” recently at the West Perth community center in Mitchell. The eight-week program teaches participating children about food preparation, kitchen safety, healthy eating, and local food systems.
The program, designed for children aged eight to 13, filled quickly for the fall session and currently has a waitlist. The Municipality is encouraged by the interest in the program and plan to run the program again in January.
Cooking with Class is supported by a grant from the McGratten Children’s Fund held within Stratford Perth Community Foundation.
Photo courtesy of Andy Bader/Mitchell Advocate
Smart & Caring Community Grant Program Opens November 8th
Our regional Smart & Caring Community Funds are designed to meet our region’s most pressing needs. Recently the City of Stratford, Town of St. Marys, Municipality of North Perth, Municipality of West Perth, Township of Perth East, and Township of Perth South collaborated on the Community Safety and Well-Being (CSWB) Plan and identified four priority areas for our region to address to work towards sustainable communities where everyone feels safe and has a sense of belonging.
Of the four priority areas, our Smart & Caring Community Grants for 2021 will focus on Priority Area #4: Social Inclusion. This priority area aligns strongly with our Foundation’s commitment to help build caring communities where everyone belongs.
See our website for more information: Smart & Caring Community Grant Program
Your Will Can Do More.
You don’t have to choose between your loved ones and the causes you care about most when planning your Will. You may be surprised to see that even a small percentage of your estate can have an enormous impact on the charity of your choice, while still supporting those you love.
Including a gift in your Will to SPCF is easy and will allow you to create your personal legacy supporting the causes closest to your heart, forever.
We hope you try the free and easy to use legacy calculator on our Will Power page to see the power of your Will. If you have any questions regarding Will Power, please contact Roxy Rae, Marketing and Outreach Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-271-1503.
Your year-end donation can have lasting impact. If you are considering an end of year donation in honour or in memory of a loved one, or if there is a specific fund you would like to support, we have a few options for you to choose from:
- Mail your donation. Please make your cheque payable to Stratford Perth Community Foundation or SPCF, and if you have a specific fund you would like to support please indicate this on the memo line of your cheque. It is important your donation is placed in the mail and officially postmarked by no later than December 31st, 2021 to receive a 2021 charitable tax receipt. Your charitable tax receipt will be mailed to you by February 15, 2022.Our mailing address:
Stratford Perth Community Foundation
55 Lorne Avenue East, Unit 5
Stratford ON N5A 6S4
- Donate Online. Visit our CanadaHelps page to make an online donation. You can choose the specific fund that you wish to support, or leave your donation unrestricted to directly support the Community Foundation. You will receive your electronic charitable tax receipt the moment your donation is processed. Your donation can be made right up to December 31st.
- Donate Securities. We also accept transfers of securities. For this type of donation, we encourage you to discuss timing with your financial advisor to ensure the shares you wish to donate are transferred to SPCF before December 31st, 2021, if you need a 2021 charitable tax receipt. To provide you with a 2021 charitable tax receipt, we must receive your donated shares into our brokerage account before the close of business day on December 31, 2021. Your charitable tax receipt will be issued for the closing value of the donated shares on the date the shares are received by SPCF’s brokerage account. Your charitable tax receipt will be mailed to you by February 15, 2022.
Welcome to our Newest Named Funds
- St. Marys Imagination Library Fund – supporting early literacy in St. Marys by providing free books for children under five through Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library program.
- Marcel and Edith van Hulle Fund – enabling education and opportunity for visual and performing artists, including professional development and creation of material or programs.
We are grateful to be your partner in philanthropy. To see a full list of our Family of Funds, or to donate to a specific fund, please visit our website.